18 December by Eleanor McGillie
Whether you love them or hate them there’s always some alternative way to cook the festive vegetable that is the brussels sprout. Live It Experience It member, Chef Rob Curley from the Slemish Market Supper Club, has provided us with a few alternatives for this seasonal vegetable.
Ingredients: 250g chopped brussels sprouts, 3 diced onions, 4 cloves sliced garlic, 100g butter, 300ml vegetable stock
- Sweat the onions, garlic & brussels sprouts with the butter until soft.
- Add the stock and cook for 10 minutes
- Blitz using a blender until nice and smooth
- Season and serve
Brussels Sprouts Empanada (Serves 4)
Ingredients for Filling: 250g sliced brussels sprouts, 200g cream cheese, 2 cloves diced garlic, 1tbsp chinese five spice
Ingredients for Pastry: 400g self raising flour, 250g lard, 3 eggs, 10g salt, 1tsp vinegar, 50mls water
- Sauté the brussels sprouts and garlic until soft
- Stir in chinese five spice and cool
- When cold, stir in the cream cheese and season
- Mix flour, lard and salt together to make a crumble
- Beat eggs, vinegar and water and add to the crumble
- Thoroughly combine until a dough is formed
- Cover and rest the dough for one hour in the fridge
- Roll out half the dough and cut into circles
- Place a spoonful of the sprout mix in centre of the circle, fold over into a semi circle and crimp until sealed.
- Eggwash the empanada
- Bake at 180 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes until golden
Sweet Brussels Sprouts Cake
Ingredients: 2 eggs, 125g sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, 100ml vegetable oil, 125g self raising flour, 125g grated carrot, 125g Brussels sprouts, 30g mixed nuts, 25g coconut, ½ tsp ginger, ½ tsp vanilla
- Cream the eggs, sugar and vegetable oil for 5 minutes
- Add grated carrots, brussels sprouts and the remainder of ingredients
- Mix well and add to a well greased and lined loaf or cake tin
- Bake at 180 degrees for 40 – 50 minutes until cooked
Live It Experience It’ is a group of journalists and travel writers who tell the story of our members. We work collaboratively with our members, which are tourism businesses, to promote Northern Ireland through water, air and land based activities, food and drink and great places to stay. Together we let our visitors know of all of the amazing things Northern Ireland has to offer. To become a member business in of ‘Live It Experience It’ call our office on 028 3756 8436 or please submit your information through our online form. T&Cs apply – Sign Up Here Let us tell your story! Live It Experience It is the NW200 tourism partner for 2018.