Wake up and smell the coffee on the North Coast
By CLAIRE SAVAGE 12 June, 2016
A visit to the North Coast just wouldn’t be complete without stopping off for a coffee and visitors are certainly spoilt for choice when it comes to cappuccinos and cakes. Live It Experience It blogger Claire Savage highlights a few must-visit coffee shops and deli’s which focus on serving artisan coffee and locally sourced produce. Where do you go for coffee on the North Coast?
This is just a snapshot of the North Coast coffee scene so be sure to explore the area when you’re out and about. Here are some of my favourites:
- Babushka Kitchen Café on Portrush’s south pier is the perfect place to enjoy an early morning coffee. Perched right beside West Strand beach, with the harbour on the other side, the menu boasts seasonal local produce and speciality coffee – just what you need to start off the day.
- Overlooking Portrush West Strand and beside Barry’s Amusements is the recently opened Koko, which boasts great views over the beach and has local artwork decorating the walls. Savour a cup of artisan coffee with a homemade tray bake, or relax with an ice cream from Braemar farm in Castlerock.
- Known affectionately by locals as ‘the pink house’, Dora’s Tea Room at Ashlea Cottages Complex (beside the Magherabuoy House Hotel) is renowned for its hearty homemade cakes and sweet treats. This quirky vintage-inspired tea room uses fresh local produce for its delicious breakfast and lunch options, which will keep you coming back for more.
- The Arcadia Café beside the East Strand serves a popular Polish breakfast, along with great coffee and local dishes made from produce sourced in the area. You can soak up the sea views and feast on smoked salmon, freshly baked bread, tray bakes and much more.
- Paper Fig Kitchen & Coffee opened in Portstewart at the end of March and is located along the popular coastal walk to the strand, near the old fisherman’s hut. Tuck into scones, sourdough bread, breakfast, soup or sandwiches, with a fresh coffee menu every few weeks and Braemar Farm ice cream from Castlerock for those sunny days.
- Warkes Deli at Portstewart Harbour is perfectly placed for those beautiful sea views and serves artisan coffee and food which is all sourced from the local area. You can also pick up hampers and take some of that delicious food from the deli home with you. Enjoy homemade scones and cakes, and a menu stuffed full of fresh produce.
- Roughans on Portstewart promenade stays open late in the summer until 11pm, with great sea views from its first-floor coffee shop. Known for its homemade ice cream, there’s plenty to choose from with 36 mouthwatering flavours.
- Thyme & Co in Ballycastle is a favourite with both locals and tourists alike, and is close to Ballycastle beach, serving a hearty homemade menu which uses local ingredients.
- Shorebird Coffee Hut on Ballycastle seafront is a great place to unwind with a coffee and watch the waves roll in. Stop off for breakfast or something more, with all dishes made from locally sourced produce.
- Ursa Minor Café in Ballycastle serves Barn Coffee Roaster, Berlin for coffee lovers, along with Pekoe Tea, amongst other varieties, while a tasty snack menu includes local preserves and ingredients. Making a name for themselves as artisan bakers, Ursa Minor is well-known for its sourdough bread and sweet bakes.
- Lost & Found on Queen Street, Coleraine, champions local suppliers and ethical trading and takes the utmost care to serve up delicious coffee that’s made just as it should be.
- The Crannagh Coffee Shop & Bistro has made it onto the list for its riverside kerb appeal on the banks of the Bann and of course, its tasty menu. Managed by a chef who has won awards for sourcing local produce, it’s certainly worth a visit.
Live It Experience It’ is a group of journalists and travel writers who tell the story of our members. We work collaboratively with our members, which are tourism businesses, to promote Northern Ireland through water, air and land based activities, food and drink and great places to stay. Together we let our visitors know of all of the amazing things Northern Ireland has to offer. To become a member business in of ‘Live It Experience It’ call our office on 028 3756 8436 or please submit your information through our online form. T&Cs apply – Sign Up Here Let us tell your story! Live It Experience It is the NW200 tourism partner for 2018.